Duration: 8m 58s
Filesize: 5.9 Mb
Recorded: 1 June 2020
David Fraser, a former keeper at Noss Head lighthouse and volunteer at Wick Heritage Museum talks about the history of the Noss Head lens. At the point of conversion from paraffin to electricity in 1981, the lens and associated mechanism was rescued, dismantled and rebuilt within Wick Heritage Museum.
The Noss Head light was designed and supervised by Alan Stevenson, uncle of author Robert Louis Stevenson. The lighthouse was built by Robert Arnot from Inverness and completed in 1849. It had a new style of lantern with diagonal framing, which enhanced the quality of the light.
David explains that the Fresnel lens, which is approximately 6ft in diameter, rotates by clockwork machinery around a mercury vapour lamp and he talks about the importance and significance of this particular light.
This Wick Voices recording featured in the Highland Objects Podcast Project in June 2020.
There are currently no comments for this recording