The Herring Mart

MATHER_0331_Herring MartThe building was opened in 1892 to give shelter and office space to local fish salesmen. It was the first of its type in the country and is as far as we know, the only one still in existence.

In the herring fishing days’ samples of the catch were brought from the vessel to the fish salesmen to be auctioned in the veranda area