When Alexander Sinclair returned from America in 1883 he built what is now Mackays Hotel. The council instructed him to put a name on the short end of the building as they deemed it a street.
When Alexander Sinclair returned from America in 1883, having made his fortune, he built what is now Mackays Hotel. The Council of that day instructed him to put a name on the short end of the building as they deemed it a street. Hence Ebenezer Place appeared in the town’s records from 1887.
Ebenezer Place measures 2.06 metres (6 ft 9 inches) and is home to just one doorway belonging to No 1 Bistro, part of Mackays Hotel.
The street was formally recognised as a record-breaker by the Guinness Book of Records in 2006. After 50 hours and with many detours, Craig Glenday, editor-in-chief of the Guinness Book of World Records arrived in Wick and declared a new world record one hour later!
Robert Louis Stevenson, who spent some time in Wick while his father built the new breakwater in the bay, included a reference to Ebenezer Place in his book ‘Treasure Island’ - note the reference to the 5 hand way, which is represented by Union Street, River Street, Bridge Street, Station Road and Cliff Road.
Over the years it was the door to a number of different places of business and today it provides entry into Mackays Hotel’s No.1 Bistro.
Written by The Wick Society