Wick Heritage Museum houses a wide range of artefacts, documents and photographs that reveal the rich variety of the Town’s civic life. The ceremonial robes of the Provost and Councillors of The Royal Burgh of Wick are displayed, together with photographic records of the events and personalities that significantly shaped the life of the community.
Among the artefacts on display is the Ceremonial Mallet used in the laying of the foundation stone of the ill-fated harbour breakwater. The construction was begun in 1863 by Thomas Stevenson, father of Robert Louis Stevenson, and eventually abandoned in 1873 after a number of severe storms. Photographs in the Johnston Collection record some aspects of the construction
For many years the ‘Herring Queen’ Festival was the highlight of every summer. With the demise of the herring fishing a Gala Week programme of events was substituted and an annual Gala Queen crowned. On display in Wick Heritage Museum is the cloak and crown worn by successive ‘Herring Queens’.