In 1901 Mrs Isabella Shearer was marketing her own brand of whisky from 11 Back Bridge Street, Wick, but the town’s association with whisky goes much further back.
James Henderson established the Pulteney distillery in the town in 1826 and at the height of the herring fishing season it was reckoned that 3000 litres of whisky were being consumed within a week.
A few doors along from Wick Heritage Museum in Bank Row was the Crown Hotel, one of a number of Wick and Pulteneytown refreshment establishments.
Wick then fell out with whisky.
The Wick and Pulteneytown Total Abstinence Society had been formed in 1840 and in 1922 the Temperance Movement secured a 62% vote in favour of the town ‘going dry’. For 25 years the prohibition order remained in place.